TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - It appears your asking about the stock turbo car....
People Seeking Info

Subject It appears your asking about the stock turbo car....

Posted by Greg D. (Specialty-Z) on January 22, 2011 at 1:41 PM
  This message has been viewed 1030 times.

In Reply To What clutch is the 478rwhp car running? posted by Jackie on January 22, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Message The 478 you’re seeing is not the peak power and is just showing the power at the line that is marked in the graph.
The peak numbers are in the top left corner.
The actual peak HP number for the run I selected is 487 for that car, and I actually did not pick the best one as that car did 499 RWHP.
The torque is how most clutches are rated as that is what typically breaks loose the disc is high torque because that has traditionally been the higher number since higher power below 5250 RPM shows a re higher torque number than the HP number.
It is becoming interesting though because now with larger turbos on smaller engines the HP is greater than the torque by sometimes large margins as some applications cause the power to be greater after 5250 RPM and it could be argued that in these application the HP would cause the clutch to break loose and in those situations a clutch rated in HP would make more since.
If you look at the graph of the torque on this stock turbo car it is 522 Torque at the wheels.
That car is running a HIGH 5 clutch because he wanted to drag race.
The sport street will hold that power when new once broken in, but I would suggest the max street for a car with that power for it to last.
Clutches are made with a pressure spring and when you bolt them to the flywheel the pressure gets greater as your causing the spring to compress and become flat.
The clutches are designed to go just barely over center when bolted down.....When the spring is completely flat it has the most clamp load.....going just over center causes the pressure to decrease slightly.....this allows the most clamp load when the disc wears slightly and is fully broken in.
What happens when the disc wears is the pressure becomes less, just like unbolting the pressure plate.
This is why a clutch slips when it gets to the end of the wear life and down to the rivets as it can no longer hold the same power because the pressure has decreased.
Because the torque is so high the clutch will not hold the power the whole life of the clutch and a MAX would be the choice I would make.

Breather mods are what allow the engine and turbo to more the most air and it removes the restrictions in the system.

Bolt on breathers are larger intercooler pipes, larger intercoolers with cores that can more a lot of CFM, larger throttle bodies, 3 inch expansion down pipes and at least a 3 inch test pipe to allow the downpipe to work, dual completely separated intake system. These are the simple bolt on items that allow the air to move easy. Also suction pipes that are better than stock offer huge gains, but these your not been available, but they are about to be released. None of the cars in the graphs besides my own car have better suction pipes at the turbo. The stock accordion pipe is also poor and small inside and has too many bends. Some of these cars do have a pipe we make and Adam made his own in that stock turbo chart.
Cams are also a breather mod as it allows more air to move through the engine as well as port work. Larger valves also allows better breathing if done properly. Simply putting a larger valve in our engines without the proper work would actually cause a restriction and hurt flow.

:

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.